In my model of startup communities, networks dominate. I go into the dynamics between networks and hierarchies in Startup Communities and I’m sure I’ll talk about it a lot more on this blog. But I wanted to give a very crisp example.
The Denver Startup Community has come to life in the past year. There are a number of great entrepreneurial leaders just getting shit done. They aren’t waiting for anyone, they aren’t asking for permission, and they aren’t creating hierarchies. They aren’t waiting until they have enough money raised to build a non-profit organization, they don’t need an office, and they aren’t hiring staff to help them. They are just doing.
An example is the increasing number of high quality events in Denver around startups. Take a look at the post on the FullContact blog titled August Denver Tech Update. It’s a great list of things coming up in September and only has one issue – the title is “August” and should be “September”. But so what – it’s out there and the list is a good one.
- Downtown Denver Startup Kickoff Bash – September 6 at the Tavern Downtown/Cowboy Lounge at 1949 Market Street.
- HTML 5 Denver User’s Group – Monday, Sept. 17 at 7:00 PM at Casselman’s, 2620 Walnut St., Denver.
- Boulder/Denver New Tech Meetup – Thursday, Sept. 20, 7:00 PM at MapQuest, 1555 Blake St, 3rd Floor, Denver.
- Denver Open Coffee Club – Tuesday, Sept. 4, 8-9AM at 501 E 19th Ave, Denver.
- Denver Founder’s Network -Wednesday, Aug 29, 6 PM at Uncubed, 2762 Walnut Street, Denver. Networking start at 5:30pm. Q&A starts at 6.
- Start Drinking Up Denver – Thursday, Sept. 20, at 5PM. Sign-up here to see the location.
There is no president of the Denver Startup Community. There is no vice president of membership. There is no vice president of education. There is a vice president of finance. There is no secretary.
It’s a network, not a hierarchy.